Sunday, January 4, 2009

Things I Used To Wear: Part I

When I was home for the Christmas holiday, my mom asked that I go through the huge amount of clothing I still had at home. I've been putting this off for YEARS, because most of the stained t-shirts, baggy pants and other ill-fitting items have sentimental value for me. There is no way in hell I would ever wear any of it again, but to part with it so abruptly? It was too much for me.

I decided to take pictures of the most ridiculous and ugly pieces of my former wardrobe, and post them here intermittently with memories and humorous anecdotes. It was the only solution I had to cope with the loss of my clothes... my friends... and sometimes my napkins.

The first piece I'd like to share is this lovely spaghetti strapped, flamingo adorned tank top.
Notice how the width is equal if not greater than the length of the shirt. This is not an illusion. It was incredibly short and stretchy, yet I somehow managed to wear it ALL THE TIME. Also, there are pit stains. Not surprising.

What struck me about this piece was the pattern, which at the time of purchase seemed whimsical and tropical. Here is a really horrible attempt at a close up.I know it's hard to tell, but the flamingo and flower was youthful, even endearing. How could any 16-year-old not love this?!

But really, I couldn't even tell you how I worked this shirt into everyday life. Did I wear it alone? Um, no! I wasn't a S-L-U-T.

Well then.. Was it an undershirt I wore beneath my nasty t-shirts? Was it a pajama shirt, so I could look stylish and sexy while I slept alone? It's unclear.

What I do know is that it's gone forever. It's time to move past flamingos, Chloe.

2 comments:

  1. i am laughing so much at this post i might be crying. particularly about the top being wider than long. in your defense, that look was particularly stylish circa out seventh grade year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha! i'm glad you find this amusing. the only thing i can really do is shake my head and wonder what i was thinking.

    i have to admit, it was a little sad writing this because i still remember how much i loved this shirt. but there are oh-so-many more stylish pieces to come!

    ReplyDelete