So, should I move to North Dakota? A Placid North Dakota Asks, Recession? What recession? in the NY Times last week suggests that might not be the worst idea.Although North Dakota is feeling the economic recession, the effects are minimal compared to most other places. In fact, in some areas, there is a surplus of jobs. Well what is everybody waiting for?! Let's go to ND!
“Our problem is that everybody thinks that it’s a cold, miserable place to live,” said Bob Stenehjem, a Republican and the State Senate’s majority leader. “They’re wrong, of course. But North Dakota is a pretty well-kept secret.”Well-kept, indeed. Hey, remember that West Wing episode when some peeps from ND petitioned to drop 'north' from the state's name?
Furthermore, I kind of love the Midwestern philosophy:
“Prudence is important at this point,” Mr. Stenehjem, a lifelong North Dakotan, went on. “North Dakota never gets as good as the rest of the country or as bad as the rest of the country, and that’s fine with us.”Ah yes, the age old concept of Moderation. Except, of course when it comes to abortion. Now that they just won't tolerate.

Love, love, love that episode of West Wing! Poor Donna, sent up their to defend herself against angry Dakota folk!
ReplyDeleteThere was a report recently that said that my area (Rochester, NY) isn't feeling it much, either. Of course, that's because we've been having our own private recession since the 80s - who would notice a difference?
You know, I have to admit that I had to Google "North Dakota name change" in order to figure out whether that was real or TV... Is it sad that I can't differentiate West Wing plot lines from real life? I'm not sure.
ReplyDeleteBut thanks for commenting, Stephanie! I have to say that I'm a big fan of PTY. Keep up the good work!